1) Get regular eye examinations – The most important thing you can do for your eyes is to get regular examinations. This is especially important because many eye diseases don’t show symptoms until very advanced. A comprehensive eye examination should include at least a vision check, eye pressure measurement, and a dilated retinal examination. Talk to your doctor about how often you should get your eyes examined.
2) Get regular medical evaluations – Your eyes are an integral part of your body. Maintaining good overall health is a key component to an ocular health regimen.
3) Don’t smoke – Smoking greatly increases your risk of developing macular degeneration and many other diseases. If you smoke, stop doing so immediately. Also avoid second-hand smoke. Note that if you are currently or previously a smoker, it is recommended to avoid beta-carotene (a source of vitamin A). Since beta-carotene is found in some dietary supplements, be sure to carefully read the ingredients and discuss with your doctor before taking any supplements. Please note that LuxVite Naturals Vision Protect is free of beta-carotene.
4) Exercise regularly – Regular exercise is an essential part of maintaining a healthy body and eyes.
5) Eat a healthy diet rich in green, leafy vegetables – the nutrients in healthy foods such as green leafy vegetables are key for ocular and general health.
6) Take a break – most of us spend countless hours staring at screens. Remember to take regular breaks to both relieve your eyes and move your body around.
7) Consider an ocular dietary supplement – It is nearly impossible to get all of the nutrients your eyes need in your diet. A vision-focused dietary supplement such as LuxVite Naturals Vision Protect may be an important part of your eye health regimen. Talk to your doctor about whether you should take a supplement for your vision.
These tips are just part of the things you can do to support visual health. Always talk to your doctor before beginning any exercise regimen or taking any supplements.
By Marc Ellman, MD